Many thanks for all the responses. For the sake of completeness I am just reporting that every thing is working as expected.

On 2019-11-04 12:30 p.m., Computerisms Corporation wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a CNAME in one zone to resolve as a TXT record in another zone.  Can't find anything that says it will work, but can't find any thing that says it won't, either.

For example, I have added in the zone file for dom1:

_acme-challenge    CNAME    _acme-challenge.dom2.com.

and then in zone file for dom2:

_acme-challenge    TXT    "thisismytextvalue"

Then, and more or less as expected, the following dig command fails to return a record.

dig -t TXT  _acme-challenge.dom1.com

Is there a way to get the dig command to return the TXT value for dom2? Or is that something that can pretty much only happen with A records?