On 01 Feb 2021, at 07:14, Matthijs Mekking <matth...@isc.org> wrote:
> Depends on what your DNSSEC configuration is. Are you using
> dnssec-signzone/named? auto-dnssec maintain? inline-signing? dnssec-policy?
> dnssec-keymgr?

These are all good questions, and when I set this up I could have answered with
some degree of confidence.

What I have in named.conf is simply dnssec-validation auto; and domains have
auto-dnssec maintain, so I guess that answers that question.

> Yes there are a lot of ways to maintain DNSSEC in BIND. The recommended way
> forward is to use dnssec-policy. Migrating to it may still be a bit tricky*,
> but once you use it, changing a new signing algorithm is pretty simple:
>
> 1. Update your dnssec-policy, reload config.

Assuming there is no dnssec-policy (there is not) what would I update it to?

This did give me enough to DDG on, does this link look reasonable?

<https://serverfault.com/questions/1007899/how-to-migrate-bind-configuration-to-dnssec-policy-from-auto-dnssec-maintain-wit>

#v+
dnssec-policy alg13-ksk-unlimited-zsk-60day {
     keys {
         ksk key-directory lifetime unlimited algorithm ECDSAP256SHA256;
         zsk key-directory lifetime P60D algorithm ECDSAP256SHA256;
     };
};
#v-

If so, what are the possible values for the algorithm? And for the actual
policy (alg13-…)? I also see mention of a dissed-policy default but that is out
of context so I don't know if that is simply telling the domain to use the
policy defined separately in the the named.conf as above. Alg13-ksk gives two
hits on DDG, and the second one is in Japanese.

> 2. Wait a little bit.
> 3. When the new DS is in the parent, run "rndc dnssec -checkds published
>   on the right key id."
> 4. Also run "rndc dnssec -checkds withdrawn" on the id of the key that
>   has its DS removed from the parent.
> 5. Have a celebratory drink.

Way ahead of you there! 🥃

> *In principal you can just switch to dnssec-policy with your existing key
> files and BIND will initialize key state files for those keys. But there is
> at least one known bug that deleted keys may be used again for signing (those
> deleted keys still have their key files in the key directory). [GL #2406]

Hopefully that will not be an issue as there are no old key files. Or rather
they are all about the same age of Jan-Feb of 2019,

--
'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I
        don't depend on me, and I'm me.'