Hello,

our customer has private .local zone "example.local"
(I know this should be used for multicast...)
so I have configured forwarding queries for this domain to his servers:

zone "example.local" {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders {
                192.168.0.1;
        };
};

zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders {
                192.168.0.1;
        };
};

Since some queries for ".local" zone were leaking out of their network,
I have long ago locally configured empty zone "local":

zone "local" {
       type master;
       file "/etc/bind/db.empty";
};

Now, the resolution od "example.local" does not work, named returns "nxdomain", doesn't forward the query.

when I commented out the "local" zone, named started working,
I just needed to add
 validate-except { "local"; };
guess I understand why.

From the history I remember that defining zone (example.local) with no delegation in the parent zone (local) does not cause issues (locally).