The leeBamViews package might serve as a moderately rich source of use case
details for clarifying concerns about current infrastructure.  I can't get a
clear example of your "problem" in which the order of countBam output does
not agree with ranges input.  Specifically, with

library(leeBamViews)
example(tabulateReads) # written before countBam existed
bs2 = bs1
br2 = bamRanges(bs1)[c(2,1,3,4)]
bamRanges(bs2) = br2
countBam(bs2)[[1]]

the order of the output ranges agrees with that of br2 (AFAICT).  It is true
that additional elementMetadata items that might be present in the bamRanges
component of the input (are you using that?) are not propagated, and perhaps
that should be remedied -- but it could be a nuisance to propagate anything
that is found there.

In fact, I wonder whether the outputs of countBam should be a data.frames,
or GRanges instances?