In my posting of the results of the St. Clair NWA CBC a short time ago, I
reported that we only counted 366 American crows. As noted this is a
considerable reduction from our 23 year average of more than 30,000, and a
long way below our all time high of 159,860. Some of the media have picked
up on this significant reduction, and suggest that Chatham is more or less
free of crows.

However I must point out that because of the efforts of Bird Control
International (BCI), as well as municipal staff, the crows have moved from
their traditional roost but not away from the urban area of Chatham
entirely. Several birders have mentioned large numbers of crows in the
vicinity, and indeed there still are impressive numbers. My own
observations, in consultation with municipal staff, indicate that there are
probably at least 25,000 crows still present. Given the termination of BCI
activity at the end of December and with the increasing winter conditions
that may force birds from other municipalities, this number may be gradually
increasing.

They come to roost in two separate areas:

1. in the vicinity of Ursuline College (The Pines), which is located at 85
Grand Avenue West, immediately north of the hospital. This is just less than
1 kilometre east of our CBC circle boundary.

2. farther east along and on the south side of the Thames River near a
municipal park/conservation area at the east end of Water and Stanley
streets. This is at least 2 kilometres east of our CBC circle boundary.

Allen
*****************************
P. Allen Woodliffe
District Ecologist