Hello Fellow Birders,

I sighted 6 FOX SPARROWS in my yard today.  Without a doubt, FOX SPARROWS
are the aristocrats of the SPARROW  nation.  As all SPARROWS scratch for a
living,  they scratch down into the leaves, the snow, the earth  -scratching
with both their feet at the same time-  to uncover whatever bounty may lie
hidden there.  Their feet are large, with unusually long toes and claws that
enable them to dig farther into the moist humus, where all sorts of seeds
and minuscule animals may abound.  Scattering leaves, snow, and soil with
abandon, they scratch longer, deeper, and more profitably than any other
SPARROWS.  There were 2 SONG SPARROWS as well as AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS & 1
WHITE THROATED SPARROW.

At one point a COOPERS HAWK swooped down and caught a COMMON GRACKLE.

Down the end of our road at the end of Mill St. in the Port of Newcastle
Harbor were 8 COMMON MERGANSERS, 6 BUFFLEHEAD & 2 COMMON GOLDEN EYES.

Directions:  Take Mill St. S. exit off Highway # 401

Markus J. Lise
Newcastle, On.

"Markus J. Lise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>