Whip-poor-wills are somewhat local in the Ottawa area. However, along chemin
de la Montagne, about 40-45 Km east of Ottawa, between Westbrook and
Wiggins, approximately 10 were heard calling regularly between about 9:20
and 10: 30 pm on July 4, by me and Bob Cermak.  That evening we were never
out of earshot of a whip-poor-will approximately 1 Km east to 1Km west of
Westbrook.  A second visit 2 days later by others was equally productive.
Particularly productive was the portion of the road that borders on the
forest.

Montee Wilson runs off Highway 148, about 35-40 Km west of Aylmer, Quebec.
Go North on Wilson about 3 Km until the road ends. The road on the left is
Chemin de la montagne (also known as Steel Line). Chemin de la Ligne
Westbrook is about 2 Km west along Montagne. Wiggins is about 1 Km farther
west.  Both Wiggins and Westbrook run off Highway 148.

Kim Zbitnew
Ottawa

"Kim Zbitnew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.