On January 22, Al Sinclair reported to Ontbirds that he and Peter and Susan Bennett saw 2 Bohemian Waxwings and 7 Pine Grosbeaks feeding in a crabapple tree in Minden. At noon yesterday (Thursday) I checked the same tree and there were 11 Pine Grosbeaks (mostly females) and 14 Bohemian Waxwings taking turns feeding on the small crabapples. Also yesterday, an adult Bald Eagle flew south low along the Gull River in Minden between Tim Hortons on Highway 35 and the river. During a quick check today, I saw 35 Evening Grosbeaks (mostly males) near the crabapple tree. Evenings don't feed on crabapples. The Bohemians and Pines were probably nearby as there are scattered crabapple trees in Minden on both sides of the river. There also are several bird feeders in town.

Directions: Minden is 175 km by car northeast of Toronto. From Highway 35 exit Main Street and go about 1 km to the bridge. The small crabapple tree is over the bridge on the right about 30 metres. Also check nearby streets.

Happy finch and waxwing watching,

Ron Pittaway
Minden and Toronto

Jean Iron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>