Sandy Komito is the current record holder for most bird species counted in
North America in one calendar year.

He will present the program, "My Big Year," at the West Humber / Richmond
Hill Naturalists meeting on Thursday, November 18, at 7:30 pm. The meeting
will be held at the Kortright Centre for Conservation on Pine Valley Drive.
Pine Valley Drive is about 3 Km west of Hwy 400, between Major Mackenzie
Drive and Rutherford Road. Admission is $10.00 per person.

The program, "My Big Year," is a look back at Sandy's record-breaking 1998
Big Year, as documented in his book, "I Came, I Saw, I Counted".
Sandy's 1998 Big Year broke the previous record, established by himself in
1987, and tallied a mind-boggling 748 species. The quest involved organizing
birding trips like complex battle strategies; jumping on a plane at a
moment's notice to chase rarities; and braving harrowing weather in places
like Attu Island (in the Aleutian chain). Sandy is also one of the subjects
of the recently published bestseller "The Big Year" by Mark Obmascik,
chronicling the race for the Big Year record between Komito and two other
obsessive birders. Not only was he competing against his old record, he was
also vying against two other equally obsessed birders. His gift for
storytelling is a delight for obsessive birders and non-birders alike.

If anyone wishes to attend, please contact me (Bill Edmunds) via email. I
will hold tickets at the door for anyone who sends me a cheque, made out to
the West Humber Naturalists.
This message has been approved by the OntBirds WebMaster.