Good evening. At 2:30 p.m today my brother Robert and I were at Wheatley
Harbour looking for rare gulls. I was just about to manoeuvre into better
position to scope what looked like a Lesser Black-backed Gull (adult) when the
greenhorn says to me, "Hey Randy, what's this little thing over there on the
water?" I turned around and looked into the channel, and not forty feet away
was a beautiful Red Phalarope in complete basic plumage bobbing around in a
most cooperative way. I couldn't believe it. We had extraordinary looks at it
in the scope, through binoculars, and even with the naked eye, as it came
almost directly below us a few times. The bird was still present when we left
around 3:30, having also been seen by Marianne "Her Eminence" Reid, and Mike
Mencotti et al. from Michigan.

This morning at the tip of Point Pelee, we also had a Purple Sandpiper which
hung around till about 9:30. An hour later, an extremely late immature Red Knot
flew in with 2 Sanderlings but only stayed 3-4 minutes before heading out. At
Sturgeon Creek there were the usual 100 or so Dunlin, some 7-8 White-rumped
Sandpipers, and one Semipalmated Sandpiper. Two Greater Yellowlegs were in
Muddy Creek in Wheatley.

By the way, there WAS a LBBG at Wheatley Harbour.

Good birding!

Randy Horvath, Windsor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]