Today, Dec.14, Jerry Ball and I had an excellent day birding the Long Point area.

Highlights

EASTERN MEADOWLARK north of Normandale. [ NE of Turkey Point south of Simcoe.] from Normandale go north on Sleepy Hollow Rd and immediately past (20 feet?) Front Rd. on the west side, the meadowlark was feeding on the bit of grass the snow plow had exposed. We were looking at the Snow Buntings and Horned Larks on the road when we found it.

LAPLAND LONGSPUR on Front Rd east of Port Rowan between E. Quarter Line and Co. Rd. 16, with more Snow Buntings and Horned Larks

SANDHILL CRANE - 2 in a corn field on the north side of Concession A west of West Quarter Line behind farm buildings numbered 415. This is just north of Long Point off Hwy 59.

COMMON GRACKLE, BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, FOX SPARROW, PINE SISKIN, "OREGON" JUNCO at the Old Cut Banding Station feeders plus the usual. Other sparrows may have been there but we only watched for a short time. The banding station is on Old Cut Blvd off Erie Blvd just before Long Point PP

LONG-EARED OWL- Wood Lot behind Old Cut Banding Station (thanks to the researcher at the station for the heads up.)

AMERICAN PIPIT, EASTERN PHOEBE, both on Dickinson Rd which is the first street east off of Old Cut Blvd past the banding station. The pipit was on the road in front of house #16. An hour later, we drove the road again and the phoebe was in a deciduous tree in the front yard of a house on the south side. Forgot the house number but I think it was about the 5th house in from Old Cut Blvd. (Hope these can be found on the CBC)

SHORT-EARED OWL- Fisherville Raptor Perserve - 6 easily visible from Concession 6 at 3:00 p.m. The perserve is west of Co. Rd.12 on the south side of Conc.6. north of Fisherville. None of the owl were in the perserve but rather in the yard of the house acroos the road (in the jack pine), in the yard of the house to the east (2 in a pine) and in the yard of the house across the road from the house on the east. 2 were in a deciduous tree at the back of the field between the 2 houses on the north side of the road.

Anne Anthony
Peterborough