On June 12, 2006, twenty-two nestling Great Egrets were color-banded at the
heron colony on Motor Island in the Niagara River by Chip Weseloh, Dave Moore
and Richard Joos (Canadian Wildlife Service-Ontario Region ) , Connie Adams,
Senior Wildlife Biologist, John Curtis, Senior Wildlife Technician, both of
the  New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, and myself.
Once again I will be asking for birders to look for Great Egrets with  RED
BANDS WITH WHITE LETTER-NUMBERS ABOVE THE “KNEE” OF THE LEFT LEG AND THE
TRADITIONAL ALUMINUM BAND ABOVE THE “ANKLE” OF THE RIGHT LEG. (At least one was

banded with the red color band above the ankle.) The band code on the red band
can usually be read with a spotting scope as the letter numbers are nearly an
 inch high.
Although in the past most of the color banded Great Egrets  are found in New
York between the Niagara River and Montezuma NWR, in Ontario  near the north
shore of Lake Erie, and in Ohio at Conneaut Harbor, these young  egrets could
show up anywhere.
The oldest of the banded  birds have start fledging in early July and birders
should  start looking for them in Western New York and Ontario near the
Niagara River.  During July, most fledglings will stop using Motor Island for a
night roost  and start their summer dispersal.
Many of the adults have already  started their post breeding dispersal  this
year. (Three breeding  color-banded adults (that were banded as chicks on
Motor Island in 2003) were  found on Motor Island during the banding this year,
and hopefully we will also  be able to study the post breeding dispersal of
these birds.)
If you  see any, please record the date and location and, if possible, the
letter(s) and  number(s) so we can better document the dispersal pattern of
these fledglings.  Report all sighting of Great Egret with red color bands to
at
least one of the  following locations.
D. V. Chip Weseloh
Canadian Wildlife Service-Ontario  Region
4905 Dufferin St.
Downsview, Ontario
M3H 5T4
Phone:  416-739-5846
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) .
and/or
Connie  Adams
NYSDEC
270 Michigan Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14203
Phone (716)  851-7010
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Best Wishes for Great Birding,
Bill Watson