This is an official posting from the High Park Raptor Watch.
Station :  High Park, Toronto, Ontario.
View Period, Oct. 24 and Oct 25, 2006.
Station Co-ordinator - Don Barnett.
Counters: D. Barnett, B. Carswell, C. Harte, M. Kelch, N. McHugh, N. Murr, H.
Shapiro.

The following are our individual totals for both the 24th and 25th October.

Species                             Oct. 24th              Oct. 25th

Turkey Vulture                        64                        121
Osprey                                    0                           0
Bald Eagle                               0                           3
Northern Harrier                        5                           7
Sharp-shinned Hawk              135                       156
Cooper's Hawk                          9                          8
Northern Goshawk                     0                          0
Red-shouldered Hawk                8                         47
Red-tailed Hawk                     270                       640
Rough-legged Hawk                   0                           0
Golden Eagle                            0                           7
American Kestrel                       4                          1
Merlin                                        1                          2
Peregrine Falcon                        0                          0
Gyrfalcon                                   0                          0
Other (Swainson's Hawk)             0                          1
Unidentified                                4                         16

Totals                                     500                    1,009

  High Park Site Description
  High Park is a 400 acre wooded park dominated by a Black Oak Savannah located
just west of Downtown Toronto near Keele and Bloor. The park is operated by the
City of Toronto Parks Department.

  The Count site (Hawk Hill) is located on a small hillat the north end of the
Grenadier Restaurant parking lot. It is located about 1.5km (1 mile) north of
Lake Ontario, at an elevation of 110 metres above sea level and 38 metres above
Lake Ontario. The site location is N 43 degrees 37 minutes 03.8 seconds, W 79
degrees 28 minutes 56.5 seconds. This station is at the highest point and near
the centre of the park; a steep slope that descends to a large pond is
immediately west of the station. Full time counts have been recorded here since
1993.

  The following are partners in our raptor migration monitoring in the Greater
Toronto Region: City of Toronto Parks and Culture Department, Toronto
Ornithological Club, and Local Naturalist's Clubs.

  More information including a summary of our past observations is available at:
  http://www.torontobirding.ca/~gtrw/
.
Thanks to the small group of dedicated observers who worked hard these last two
days. A special thanks to Don Peuramaki
for identifying the Swainson's Hawk.
Naish McHugh. Recorder.