From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Sun Nov 19 21:48:56 2006
From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ontbirds@hwcn.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:48:54 -0500
Subject: [Ontbirds]A few notes from Niagara Sunday Nov 19/06

As well as enjoying the Razorbill excitement at the Niagara rivermouth today,
we had a few gull highlights worth sharing.

The definitive basic California Gull was in view from 8:30 to 9:30am on its
usual rock perch at the north end of the American side power station.

KM briefly glimpsed a juvenile Black-legged Kittiwake flying past Adam Beck.
Along with Betsy Potter and Willie D'Anna, we watched what was presumably the
same bird at the Whirpool, after JI spotted it flying about with Bonaparte's
Gulls.

In the gorge at the Falls we found a first basic Little Gull and two more
Kittiwakes in the afternoon. One of these was a typical juvenile, still
possessing the thick black neck band. The other was an interesting bird which
at first glance appeared to be a defintive basic ( winter adult ). After
following the bird through the mist for an hour and getting fairly good views
of the upperwing pattern, we were ultimately able to age the bird as second
basic. Features pointing to this age class were dark lines on the outer web of
P9, some dark markings in the primary covert area, and a contrast of paler gray
on the "hand" of the upperwing with the somewhat darker gray inner wing and
mantle.

Kevin McLaughlin...Hamilton

Jean Iron.....Toronto.