Hello Ontbirders,

I was birding Owen Pt. at Presqu'ile Prov. Park from 0600-0800 this morning and saw some migrants of interest, including some 237 shorebirds of 9 species.

Shorebirds included 2 B-b Plover, 18 Semi Plover, 4 Killdeer (local breeders), 1 Whimbrel, 5 Ruddy Turnstone, 1 Red Knot, 2 Semi Sandpiper, 17 Least Sandpiper, 187 Dunlin. Virtually all shorebirds were on the gravel bar between Owen Pt. and Gull Island - some resting and some feeding on items off the gravel surface (midges?). The Whimbrel flew over calling and circling a few times but continued NNW over Popham Bay. A number of the Dunlin kept flying off NNW in tight balls only to return a few minutes later, a behaviour that usually means they won't be staying long. Only about 25 shorebirds were on the main raked beach (mostly Semi Plovers at or near the shoreline), which is not surprising since all the traditional ephemeral spring feeding ponds that were so critical for the traditional large groundings we used to get here have have been systematically drained and filled in by Ontario Parks/MNR over the past five years.

Other birds of note included a single Brant on the same gravel bar, 2 singing Willow Flycatchers along the Owen Pt. trail, 2 Lesser Scaup, 1 L-t Duck, and 3 Redhead - all in Popham Bay. While I didn't have time to do much warbler watching, a number of spp. could be heard including a Mourning near the Park Store and many Wilson's singing everywhere.

Cheers,

Doug McRae

Doug McRae Nature Services
P.O. Box 3010
Brighton, Ontario
Canada K0K 1H0
613-475-5014
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Directions: Presqu'ile is located south of Brighton, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Take the Brighton exit from Hwy. 401 and go south into town then follow the signs to the park. Owen Pt. is the southern end of the Presqu'ile beach.