Hi Birders

I spent a couple of hours on the Mer Bleue boardwalk this morning
observing fledged young Palm Warblers.  I arrived at about 9:30 and
spotted one young shortly after my arrival, and a couple more birds a
few minutes later; I observed them of and on for about half-an-hour in
company of three other people who were visiting the bog.  We were not
sure if there were 3 or 4 individuals, but at one point I could briefly
see 4 individuals in the same tree.  At least 2 were young, maybe 3; I
could never see more than one adult at the same time.  The birds did not
seem to be disturbed by the presence of 4 people, talking, at times less
than 10 meters away.

This observation was made in the area of sign 11, the very same area
were breeding was confirmed each of the last 3 years.

Things got quite after a while, but I stayed in the area to check if
they would return.  After about 30 minutes, I spotted a group of 3, 2
young and one adult, this time near sign no 12, about 50 meters East of
sign 11.  Was it the same group or another family?  These birds are
continuously on the move and it is very difficult to note details of
more than one bird at a time.  I observed this group, again of and on,
for about 20-25 minutes, and they also disappeared.

I was puzzled by the appearance of the only adult that I could have a
good look at.  It showed little yellow underneath, suggesting that is
was a Western race.  Previous years adults were of the Eastern race.
There was a mention though of the observation a Western race male on
June 23 in that area, by Peter Hall who reported "an adult western form
(non-yellow) male who
sang repeatedly from a small tamarak tree just off the boardwalk".

I heard singing a few times.

It would be interesting if other observers would visit the area in the
coming days and let us know what they see.

Langis Sirois, Ottawa

PS I had tried yesterday without success.  I had a Lincoln Sparrow
though yesterday, at the beginning of the boardwalk on the West side.

Directions:  From Highway 417 (The Queensway), East of the city, exit at
Anderson Road. Go North on Anderson Road for about 3 kilometers and turn
right on Ridge Road; go to the end of Ridge Rd and park in NCC parking
lot 22. Walk to the bog from there.