I stopped in at the Holland Landing lagoons this afternoon around 2:15 to see
if there were any new shorebirds present and managed to find a few new
arrivals.  The first lagoon was characteristically high and empty but the
second cell held approximately 100 shorebirds, about half of them being
juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs.

  As I scoped from the southwest corner of the lagoon I also observed two
Greater Yellowlegs, one of them a molting adult, the other a nicely spangled
juvenile.  There were a few molting adult Lessers and, at the southern end of
the lagoon, several peeps that I knew I would have to get closer to if I wanted
to make a proper identification.   Stepping back from my tripod in order to
fold it up, I stopped when several shorebirds suddenly scattered in a din of
alarm calls, then most of the Bonaparte's Gulls (nearly 200 birds) in the third
lagoon rose en masse into the sky.

  Feeling guilty (raised Catholic), I wondered if my own movements had caused
the fuss, but realized the gulls couldn't have seen me yet so I looked skyward
for birds of prey.  It is not unusual to observe Red-tailed Hawk, Osprey,
Harrier and/or accipiters at the Holland Landing lagoons.  In late summer and
fall Merlin is always a possibility too.  Sure enough, behind the blizzard of
gulls, a falcon was zooming past, rapidly rising to the treeline after a low
pass.  I expected it to be a Merlin but when I got my binoculars on the bird it
looked larger than that.  Still, size impressions can be misleading, so I
scrambled for more specific details in the five or six seconds left to me
before the bird would disappear over the trees.  What clinched this falcon as a
Peregrine was the sharp contrast between its dark, boldy marked face and its
clear white throat and upper chest.  It soon disappeared behind the trees
without ever slowing down.

  Hoping the falcon would return, I spent the better part of the next two hours
walking the perimeter of the lagoons but the bird did not reappear.  Still, the
slower pace I was proceeding at led to a few more discoveries that I could
easily have missed, one a beautifully buffy Short-billed Dowitcher (juvenile),
the other a White-rumped Sandpiper flying with a group of about 25 Least
Sandpipers.  I also observed two Semipalmated Sandpipers.  I could not find the
Stilt Sandpiper present on the weekend but should note that many of the
shorebirds present were moving through vegetation on the east and south sides
of the second lagoon and were often hidden from view.

  Interestingly, my last sighting of a Peregrine in this area was August 19th,
2006 at the Schomberg Lagoons west of Newmarket - almost a year ago to the day.
 The Schomberg lagoons, I should mention, are under extensive construction this
year and are much compromised as a result.  Unlike the HL lagoons, where access
has been tacitly tolerated, entry to the Schomberg lagoons has always been
discouraged and is now doubly so.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

  DIRECTIONS: The Holland Landing lagoons are in the north part of the town of
Holland Landing, which is between Newmarket and Bradford.  Take Yonge Street
north through Newmarket and turn right at the stoplights north of Green Lane
(you will see Brooklin Concrete and the Newmarket Inn on the east side).  Take
the long and winding road (credits to Paul McCartney) down to Holland Landing,
keep going straight, then cross the bridge and the RR tracks.  Continue north
past the stoplights at Mount Albert Road, then keep going north through town,
past the next lights.  About 0.7 kms past Doane Road you will see two white
wagon wheels, a Maximum 60 Km sign, and a red Toronto Sun newspaper box on the
east side of the road.  This marks Cedar Avenue.  Turn right (east) and drive
the short distance to its end.  Park by the main gate (but don't block it) and
walk past the green secondary gate on the north (left).  Within a few metres
you will see a metal post painted orange on the
 right side of the path, marking where you can step over the fence and walk
back to the gravel road running into the lagoons.  Watch for poison ivy, as
there is a great deal of it here, especially on the northern margin of the
gravel road.