Oops. The cooperative Snow Buntings were seen between Concession 20 and 21 (not 19...a typo) along Ste-Rose street. With the rain and milder weather this could be the last week to see the Snowy Owls east of Casselman. As Jacque Bouvier's earlier email stated, the Snowy Owls are not hard to find as you can see a number of cars parked along the road (see Ottawa directions below) on most nice days during the week in the very late afternoon (4 - 5 pm). Since this could be the last chance to see the owls, thought I'd share. Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ott User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ontbirds@hwcn.org>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 10:49 AM
Subject: [Ontbirds]Ottawa - Snowy Owls and other birds

Hi Ontbirders:
It was only fitting light snow was forecast early in the morning on this last day of March. It's changing to rain later in the morning. 4 Snowy Owls are still east of Casselman as of yesterday, March 30th. Another person told me he has seen as many as 5 to 6 Snowy Owls at this location over the winter including 2 white males. He showed me a photo of one of the white male Snowy Owls. Also on Sunday, a flock of 150 to 200 Snow Buntings were seen in the fields and side of road on one of the concession roads bordering Ste-Rose. Snow Buntings are notoriously skittish but I found 2 rather accomodating Snow Buntings perched on branches along Ste-Rose between Concession 20 and Concession 19. It surprisingly allowed for a close approach. The most unusual sighting for me this weekend was a male Northern Harrier at the Hilda Road feeders. It flew slowly from the left and circled behind trees near the feeders before flying right over me. At first I thought it was a hawk as Coopers and Sharp-shinned have been known to frequent the feeders. I waited to see if it would come back but didn't see it again. Thanks.

One of the very approachable Snow Buntings.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/94957378/original

W. H.
www.pbase.com/golfpic.

Directions to Snowy Owls and Snow Buntings courtesy of Jacques Bouvier:
From Hwy 417 east of Casselman take exit 58 and proceed north on Cty Rd 8
for about 1 km until you come to Concession 20 Rd in the middle of the long
curve. Turn right (east) on Concession 20 Rd. You will find Concession 19 Rd
just north of 20.

From Ottawa. Take Hwy 417 and head east past the Casselman exit (66). Get
off the next exit which is 58. Turn left onto Cty Rd 8 and continue until Concession 20. Two of the Snowy Owls can be found along Concession 20 all the way up to Ste-Rose street. The third can be found along Concession 19 just past the barn after you turn left from Ste-Rose road. May heve to look into the field as it often perches on the ground.