Thanks to Geoff Carpentier for arranging the permits to visit the Nonquon
sewage lagoons in Port Perry.
I dropped in to the Works Dept. today, Friday April 4, and they were able to
give me my permit and take my $5, but not to give me the new numbers for the
lock on the gate! It may take a few days before these are available.
So I went round to the lagoons and punched in last year's code and the gate
opened. The lagoons are still completely frozen, covered in a thick layer of
ice and snow, but given the forecast they may not take long to melt. The
only shorebirds were a couple of Killdeer and the only waterfowl 2 or 3
noisy pairs of opportunistic Canada Geese. But I saw my first Eastern Phoebe
of the year and a Northern Flicker and heard a Brown Creeper in the north
woods. There were gazillions of singing robins, Red-winged Blackbirds, and
Song Sparrows, an adult Red-tailed Hawk was chased by blackbirds, a
beautiful adult male Northern Harrier flew by, and crows were mobbing a
Great Horned Owl.
I would suggest getting your permit in a week or so when there's more to see
and you have the new entry code - I don't know when the changeover will take
place.
Copied below are Geoff's instructions:

I have just been advised that the permits for access to the Port Perry
lagoons will be available starting tomorrow, April 3rd. A new lock code will
be provided when you purchase your permit.

Permits must be purchased in advance of entering the lagoons. Each
individual must have his/her own permit. They cost $5.00 as they did last
year.

The permits may be purchased at the Durham Region Transfer Site located at
1623 Reach Rd, Port Perry during the following business hours .... Tuesday,
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Thursday from
8:00 a.m. to 6 p.m.  To get to the transfer station, travel north on Hwy 12
past Port Perry [Hwy 7A] to the next traffic lights [Regional Road 8 = Reach
Rd.] and travel east to #1623 on the north side of the road.

The lagoons are located one road north of the transfer site east off Hwy 12
on Concession Rd. 8 [don't get confused as, despite the fact that these
roads are both numbered "8", they are two different roads - one is a
regional paved road, the other a dirt concession road.]

Margaret Bain
Cobourg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]