Last weekend was a great one for raptors in York region, but not for waterfowl.
 As temps steadily rose this week, however, ice and snow melted into open water
for numerous ducks and geese.  The flooded fields at the north end of Bathurst
have hosted at least 2,000 waterfowl since Tuesday and, although most have been
Mallards and Canada Geese, feathered guests have also included TUNDRA SWANS
(8), loads of N. PINTAIL (approx. 300), AM. WIGEON (10), GREEN-WINGED TEAL
(25), RING-NECKED DUCK (50), LESSER SCAUP (8), WOOD DUCK (5), COMMON GOLDENEYE
(3), BLUE-WINGED TEAL (2), HOODED MERGANSER (2), AMERICAN COOT (1), and one
CACKLING GOOSE. (Many thanks to Chris, Keith and Bruce for this information).

  On Wednesday I observed four different NORTHERN HARRIERS coursing low over
the fields in this same area.  Chris Dunn observed the first OSPREY of the
season at this location the next day, as well as a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.  He
also had the first SONG SPARROW of the spring for York (that I've heard about
anyway).

  In the West Holland River there were 17 COMMON MERGANSERS swimming together
on Wednesday at the west end of Bernhardt Ave. and one lone male Cm. Merg was
at the Holland Landing lagoons.  At this latter location I was surprised to see
a late day push of Turkey Vultures going by at 7:00 p.m.  A stream of 19 TVs
flew over me, following the same NNW flight path.  Some very vocal BROWN
CREEPERS provided a pleasant soundtrack from the swamp on the north side of the
lagoons.

  On Wednesday evening an unplanned rendezvous with Keith Dunn at the top end
of Yonge St. in Holland Landing yielded our first AMERICAN WOODCOCKS of the
season.  There were at least two of them "peenting" from the ground, then
rising into the air to do their famous "Dance of The Timberdoodle" east of
Silver Lakes golf course.  While we were standing there chatting, Keith and I
also heard a WOOD DUCK fly over and a group of coyotes howling and yipping in
the distance.  My golden retriever hung tight by my leg for that canine chorus.

  On Thursday evening Bruce Brydon had another Woodcock at the top end of
Bathurst St.  Thursday's balmy weather brought out the first EASTERN PHOEBE of
the season just west of Hwy. 400 near Bradford.

  Last Sunday I finally observed my first two KILLDEER of the spring while
hiking in the Mary Lake property just north of King City (where the Oak Ridges
Trail runs west from Dufferin St.).  By Wednesday they were everywhere.  Also
present and making a seriously spacey sibilance at Mary Lake that day was a
very vocal flock of about 100 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS.  In central Newmarket Chris
Dunn has had flocks of Bohemians ranging from 50 to 150 along Bolton Ave. just
north of Davis Drive all week long.

  This weekend's pleasant conditions should bring in a whole new group of
migrants.  Ironically, many of us "locals" will be in the Hamilton area on a
field trip.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

  York Region is just north of Toronto and south of Lake Simcoe.  The north end
of Bathurst Street is accessed by taking Yonge St. north from Newmarket.
Halfway between Holland Landing and Bradford there is a stoplight indicating
Bathurst St. North.  Turn right, then a quick left, then Bathurst crosses the
RR tracks and runs straight north.  Take it to the flooded fields north of
Queensville Sdrd. and Albert's marina.  A scope definitely helps if you have
one.