Congrats to Bruce on his Canadian first re: Cave Swallow.

Regarding the 3 Cave/Cliff swallows on the 12th. I was personally willing to
bet (if I were a gambling man) they were Cave Swallows, BUT (ah, the but)
shadowing at that distance was just off enough for me NOT to be able to
clinch the ID. I recall a sighting from some coastal location during a
pervious Cave Swallow invasion in which Cliff Swallows were positively
identified..so, if correct, means all that glitters isn't necessarily gold-
but it keeps you on your toes! Given that there was a moderate easterly wind
on the 13th, it's not too outlandish to think the 3 swallows at Cardinal on
the 12th had moved a few miles west to shelter of the colossal grain
elevator at Johnstown.

Sorry for not posting yesterday 14th. As Langis said, I met himself and Tom
at Johnstown grain building yesterday in fine weather. No sign of Cave
Swallows. I guess it was somewhat hit or miss on the 13th (and perhaps
yesterday too) with the swallows potentially disappearing into the building
or perhaps just being on the opposite side of it? I spent around 15 minutes
watching the building on the 13th in the rain without success and about 2
hrs yesterday, which I guess is about my limit for staring at grain
elevators in any weather. Sorry for the rant.

Sightings from yesterday 14th :

The SNOWY OWL had swapped position being on the first island mid-river just
east of the international bridge. There was also a CACKLING GOOSE among
about 400 Canada Geese by the Canadian shore in the small bay just to the
west of the bridge.

Good birding to all,
Gerard