This morning I checked out the area between the 11th and 14th Sideroads of
Bradford-West Gwillimbury east of the 20th Line. The birding was excellent. I
saw 5 Sandhill Cranes, a flock of 15 Tundra Swans "tootling" overhead,
scattered groups of N. Pintail, Am. Black Duck, Green-winged Teal, Am. Widgeon,
Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Hooded and Common Mergansers peppering the
surface of Cook's Bay, a pair of Marsh Harriers doing their courtship flight,
one Bald Eagle, and many Great Blue herons (20) setting up house at their
colony. The Bald eagles that I suspected might be nesting are around but the
herons have taken up residence on the nest platform I thought the eagles might
be taking over. The cranes may stay to breed (as did a pair last year), but it
is still good to see that their numbers seem to be increasing here. I was
especially impressed by the massing of waterfowl in the bay. A spectacular
sight!!
Peter Wukasch

To get to this area, go north on Hwy. 400 to County Road 88. Turn right and
drive to the centre of Bradford. Turn Left on Hwy. 11 and go north to the 13th
Line. Turn right and continue to the end where the pump house is located and a
power shovel is parked. A trail is on the right which follows the edge of the
river. There is also a trail on the left that follows a line of overturned
stumps and debris. The heronry is across the river in the tamarack swamp.