I took a tour of the Ottawa region, visiting several "hotspots" throughout the
area.  Near the Airport I relocated the WILSON'S SNIPE I reported last night.
In the same vicinity were two KILLDEER.  The E. MEADOWLARK was heard again from
High Road, and I am pleased to report that four SAVANNAH SPARROWS are now back
on territory near the end of High Road.

At Andrew Haydon / Dick Bell Parks, a female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER and a pair
of HOODED MERGANSERS are in the eastern duck pond.  Approximately six LESSER
SCAUP were uncharacteristically close to shore near the footbridge at the
inlet.  A BELTED KINGFISHER made a brief fly-by, heading towards Shirley's Bay.

Next I visited Britannia Conservation Area.  Approximately 30m from the Cassels
Road entrance was a juvenile COOPER'S HAWK preening from an open perch.
Further down the trail was a male YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.  The highlight of
the afternoon, however, was a large flock of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS, numbering at
least 100 strong but probably more.  Myself and two other birders were treated
to watching an adult COOPER'S HAWK buzz through the flock and capture and kill
a waxwing while the rest of the flock took to the air.  Both the adult and
juvenile hawks were later relocated in the pine grove.

Thanks to all the birders/photographers who I crossed paths with.

Pat

DIRECTIONS:

- Andrew Haydon: the parking area is located off of Carling Avenue West.

- Britannia: From Richmond Road, turn onto Poulin Avenue.  Follow Poulin past
the curve onto Howe Street. At the stop sign, turn right onto Britannia Road.
Turn right onto Cassels Road; parking is on the left.