Hello Ontbirders,
   Our warbler tally for this morning so far is 28 species plus one hybrid.
The highlight was a PRAIRIE on Harrison Trail north of the Visitor Centre.
Other good birds included a BLUE-WINGED on the Maintenance Loop, ORANGE-CROWNED
on Spicebush and Tulip Tree Trails, a HOODED on Harrison Trail north of the
Visitor Centre and a MOURNING on the Maintenance Loop.  On South Point Trail,
there was a BREWSTER'S hybrid on the trail just south of the site of the bench
on the shoreline, and a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT near the "Anne McArthur" bench -
but moving about.  The PROTHONOTARY has been seen regularly at the nest boxes
on Tulip Tree Trail.  A late PINE WARBLER was noted on Tulip Tree Trail.

   In the songbirds-other-than-warblers category, a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was
found on South Point Trail and a CLAY-COLOURED SPARROW was seen on Lakeshore
Road just south of the Visitor Centre.

   At the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons, the EARED GREBE has been reported this
morning.  When visiting the lagoons, birders are asked to park ONLY on the
lagoon side (east side) of the road, and to be sure not to block the vehicle
access gate.  When you enter the lagoon, please change the combination and
close and lock the gate behind you.  If we birders want to enjoy continued
access here, we need to follow the conditions set out for use of the lagoons,
as well as respecting the property owner across the road.

   At Erieau, observers reported sightings yesterday from the main pier.  There
were 26 RUDDY TERNSTONES and 14 DUNLIN on the pier across the harbour entrance.
 Also seen on the south beach on the very southwest tip were 6 WHIMBREL and 8+
more in flight.
   I would appreciate receiving messages concerning observations at the lagoons
and other Rondeau area birding locations (e.g. Erieau) for posting on Ontbirds
and to forward to the local Bird Records Committee.

I will lead a guided hike twice daily from Saturday May 2 to Monday May 18,
inclusive (fee $5), as follows:

Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 am and 1:00 pm;

Tuesday and Thursday at 7:30 am and 7:00 pm;

Friday at 7:30 pm.

   All of the 7:30 am and 1:00 pm hikes listed above will meet at the Visitor
Centre.  The 7:00 pm hikes will meet at the entrance to the Marsh Trail.  The
second hike on Friday at 1:00 pm will meet at the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.

   The Friends of Rondeau will provide a Birders' Breakfast for a small
donation (coffee, tea, bagels, soups and treats) daily from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm
at the Visitor Centre.

   More information on the Park's nature programs and the Friends of Rondeau is
available at the Friends' web site: www.rondeauprovincialpark.ca

   Birders and photographers are reminded not to play recordings of bird calls
to attract birds in the Park, as this interferes with nesting activities and
other vital behaviours.

DIRECTIONS:

Take Exit 101 from Highway 401 and drive south 16 km on Chatham Kent Road

15.  Turn right and follow the signs to the Park.  The Bird Sightings Book,
Bird Sightings Boards, and other relevant information are located at the
Visitor Centre (open from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm from May 2 - 18), 6 km south of
the Park Gate.

Steve LaForest

Friends of Rondeau Bird Guide

c/o Rondeau Vistor Centre (519) 674-1768