For the last three days, Stan Long and I have been watching and trying
to follow Great Egrets as the arrive and/or depart from the Reesor Pond.
We have had up to 11 birds at one time during the day. Birds initially
arrive at the Pond between 550-600 AM from the west. They depart to the
west between 700ish and 800 PM. One of six egrets there this morning was
banded with a red leg-band with white numbers and letters though we
could not read the specific sequence. We suspect the egrets roost
overnight somewhere along the Rouge River, south of Highway 407. We
would like to ask Toronto-area birders to keep their eyes open when in
that area and if they see any evening congregation of egrets to please
report them to us. They probably roost in trees...dead trees...along the
River's edge somewhere.

Also, please watch for colour-banded egrets in general, as per above.
Over 300 young were colour-banded this summer in southern
Ontario/western New York.

Thanks,

Chip Weseloh
Stan Long