Good Evening

 I just got back from visiting the Carden Alvar at Kirkfield thanks to Carol
and Ian Cannell and besides the usual good company we did come up with a few
nice post breeding birds.

We took note that the Bobolinks and Chestnut-sided Warblers are already in
winter plummage and also the almost total lack of a "dawn chorus" though the
Sedge Wrens, Towhees, Swamp Sparrows and some Grasshopper Sparrows were singing
at dawn.

 Following are some of the highlights and some totals for the day after birding
only a few of the roads up there. We spent pretty well the whole morning along
Wylie Road on this outing but did bir Shrike Road, Prospect Road, Alver Road
East and Rockview Road.

 Great Blue Herons, Turkey Vultures, Broad-winged Hawk, A. Kestrels, Merlin, a
Wild Turkey flushed by a yearling Black Bear, Virginia Rails, Sora Rail, a
mixed family group of 7 C. Moorhens including 2 adults, 4 grown young and a
very small chick, Sandhill Crane, A. Woodcock feeding on the road in broad
daylight, Forster's Tern, Common Loon, 7 Common Nighthawks, 11 R-T
Hummingbirds, a family of 4 Hairy Woodpeckers, a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers,
Olive-sided Flycatcher, E. Wood-Pewee, Alder, Willow and Great-crested
Flycatchers, E. Phoebes, 74 E. Kingbirds, Common Raven, 150+ A. Crows, Warbling
Vireo, 3 Loggerhead Shrikes, Eastern Bluebirds, Gray Catbirds, 16 Brown
Thrashers including family groups, White-breasted Nuthatch, Sedge and House
Wrens, Purple Finches, Golden-winged, Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated
green and Black-and-white Warblers ( this was a mixed flock of Warblers ) soon
to move south ?, 28 Grasshopper ( undercounted ), Henslow's, Field, and 8
Vesper Sparrows, 20 E. Towhees, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Baltimore Orioles, 38
E. Meadowlarks and 25+ Bobolinks.

 A beautiful day to be out and besides the birds and animals we also took note
of the large variety of Butterflies along Wylie Road and the many late summer
flowers in bloom. Lots of Sweet Clover and Queen Annes Lace alongside th roads
and the rushes in the marshes are head high.

Directions:-

CARDEN ALVAR INCLUDING WYLIE ROAD / THE SEDGE WREN MARSH / PROSPECT ROAD ALONG
WITH A FEW AREAS SOUTHWEST OF KIRKFIELD
Wylie Road is north of Kirkfield in Victoria County and Kirkfield itself is on
County Road 48 east of Highway 12 and well north of Whitby and about 130 km
from Toronto if you follow the roads and not a Crow.

>From the centre of Kirkfield go north on County Road 6 passing under the Lift
>Lock on the Trent Canal and drive about 2 ½ km further north to where the road
>curves left or west. On this curve and on your right is McNamee Road, turn
>right here onto McNamee and drive east for about 300 yards and you will be at
>Wylie Road. This road is about 9 ½ km long ending at Alvar Road (a T
>intersection). Birding can be good on Alvar Road as well, either way.

The Sedge Wren Marsh is about 5 ½ km up Wylie Road, you can’t miss it as it has
the only bridge along the road. Park just to the south of and overlooking the
bridge and walk the road. Birding is good all along the road and I find that
the best birding happens when you park and walk both ways a km or two from your
auto.

This is a narrow road with little traffic but be sure to park in such a way as
to not block the road or at the gravelled parking areas that you will find at
several places along the road as you don’t want to rile up the locals. This is
all private property but there really is no need to leave the road, nor should
you. Please respect the property rights of the land owners.

Other roads to check in the area are Shrike, Curl’s, Dalrymple, Eldon Station,
Rockview, Doyle, Palestine, Creek View, and McNamee Road, etc.

PS

Down Rockview Road just west of Kirkfield on your right along County Road 48.
Past the dump road (on your right) you will come to a wet wood lot that
straddles the road. This is a great place for N. Waterthrush. We heard and saw
7 there on May 5/01 and May 4/02. We continue to find the N. Waterthrushes
here. Also along here you should find Upland Sandpiper and Grasshopper Sparrow.

Prospect Road Marsh

Continue south on Rockview Road to Eldon Station Road (the next road) turn
right (west) and drive to Prospect Rd. Turn right (north) and drive up to a
large marsh. Here you could find many Marsh Wrens along with Sora, Virginia
Rail, Common Moorhen, American Bittern, Least Bittern and Green Heron and watch
for Osprey, Northern Harrier and Turkey Vulture. If you continue north on this
road you will come upon another small marsh and pond just short of County Road
48. Of coarse most of the roads in this and the Wylie Road area can be very
productive and it is not a stretch saying you could spend a whole day in the
area, I have and do.

PPS

Wylie Rd south of the Sedge Wren Marsh is good for Upland Sandpiper, Vesper and
Grasshopper Sparrows and lots of Eastern. Bluebirds. North of the marsh are the
same birds and near the north end of the road watch and listen for Purple
Finch, Golden-winged Warbler and Clay-colored Sparrow.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON

"Sils mordent, mords les"