Intrigued?

Well here goes - migrants are drifting through - a few warblers (Yellow and
Redstart), vireos (Red-eyed and Warbling), Baltimore Orioles in northcentral
Ajax and and several Purple Martins along the waterfront today.

Yesterday, I watched a Cedar Waxwing pair feeding on some small moths in a
Manitoba Maple near my house. They were foraging by gleaning and by
flycatching. What was most interesting was that one of them actually flew
backwards for about a metre as it lined up to pursue a fleeing moth. This
wasn't a glide or free fall, not a side slip and not a wind driven reaction,
but actual and deliberate level flight backwards. Interesting to watch as I've
never seen a waxwing do this before.

And near Hastings (yesterday) I watched an Osprey presumably cleaning its
talons. It would fly about 15 metres above the water and then glide down, with
both sets of talons clenched like a fist, and drag them in the water for about
10 metres. It would then flap and gain altitude and do it again. It repeated
this over 10 times in succession and then gave its entire body a shake and flew
away. The reason for the behaviour was unclear, but it could have been to
soothe sore feet (???) or to clean them of fish debris. It was not carrying any
visible prey so it was not trying to clean a fish or drown something. It was
not bathing itself as only the talons were immersed, never the belly or breast.
Any thoughts? email me privately please.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com