Hi All!
I must apologize in the delay for posting the highlights from our count on
Monday - the Olympic Torch came through the park this week and we all got
caught up in the excitement!
We had a pretty good count this year - with 92 species recorded the day of the
count and an additional 3 count week species reported to date.
Highlights from this year's count included:
Red-throated Loon (1 - reported off the tip)Dunlin (1 - on the east side of
Hillman Marsh, where the lake breaches the marsh)Killdeer (10 - 6 of which were
noted in the same location at the Dunlin)Double-crested cormorant (2 - Wheatley
Harbour)Lesser Black-backed gull (2 - Wheately Harbour)Thayer's Gull (1 - on
the lake at the north end of Hillman marsh)Little Gull (1 - imm.  Wheatley
Harbour)Golden Eagle (1 - seen over the marsh in the park)
There were very few puddle ducks recorded this year and the numbers of scaup
and mergansers were much lower than normal.39 Carolina Wrens were reported this
year - 17 of these individuals were located between the Visitor Centre and the
Tip.  There are three very reliable Carolina wrens hanging out at the Tip
washroom - as easy grab for winter listers.
Happy Holidays to you and best wishes for good birding in 2010!Sarah Rupert