Thanks to all who sent me messages about my owl. It was kind of funny, because
in five different e-mails, I got five different owls! Long-eared, Short-eared,
Great Horned, Barred and Screech.  A special thanks to Scott Smith for linking
me to a page with owl sounds. Here is the link for anyone else trying
identification by sound.

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php

The owls were vocalizing, and I believe that the owls were Great Horned Owls.
They were actually flying just past the very last parking lot where the road
does a turnaround. There are two main paths, one straight and one off to the
left, with a field between them. They were flying over that field, and
thankfully this one landed in a tree near the lights on the main trail. I think
I first flushed the owl as I walked past a stand of pines just east of the left
trail from the parking lot.

If anyone goes to check it out, please let me know what you think. I'm going to
try and go again tomorrow.

Thanks again!
-Julia