I spent a enjoyable afternoon with my 20-year-old son today, driving the
backroads west and north of Newmarket.  Although he is not a birder, he took
good long looks (and made the right "ooh" and "aah" sounds) at a Snowy Owl that
shone like ivory against the dark soil of the Holland Marsh vegetable
fields east of Aileen Street and south of Strawberry Lane.  He also seemed to
genuinely enjoy the fine lines of a Northern Pintail drake that was dabbling in
an ephemeral pond near the roadside on Bathurst Street north of Holland
Landing.

After driving him to his girlfriends' I returned to Bathurst St. N. and scoped
the fields to the west.  There were at least a dozen more Pintails among the
many Canada Geese out there and a few other waterfowl that were simply too
far away to identify.  A drive down Hochreiter Road would no doubt have offered
better views but it looked remarkably muddy and I chickened out.  Tundra Swans
and other migrant waterfowl should be showing up here any day now.  Al Johnston
had two Cm. Goldeneye drakes visiting his pond east of Aurora on Friday while
Bruce Brydon had a Snow Goose one week ago in north Newmarket.

At the north end of Yonge St. in Holland Landing, my dog and I had barely
started walking past the first guard rail when a large branch broke in the
swamp beside us, carrying a porcupine with it!  The quilled critter landed in
the water and swam slowly to the raised base of a nearby tree, shaking itself
like a wet dog.

We left it alone and walked to the north end of the roadway, listening
to Red-winged Blackbirds and Cm. Grackles in the wetlands east of us.  Looking
up into the blue sky at 4:06 p.m. I saw a large, dark bird fly into view.
Assuming it would be my first Turkey Vulture of the spring I raised my binos
and discovered that it was, in fact, a sub-adult Bald Eagle, white-headed with
a mainly dark body but still showing white in the belly and wings.  Its mainly
white tail had a dark sub-terminal band, but not a big broad one like an
immature Golden.

At the nearby Holland Landing sewage lagoons there was very little bird
activity but I did see my first woolie bear caterpillar of the year and one
Northern Harrier just before 5:00 p.m.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket

York Region is north of Toronto and south of Lake Simcoe