This just in from Sue Meech at the Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre, in Napanee,
Ontario:

."......We also got an update on Alby the Albatross.  It is going to be on the
news so we thought we should give everyone an advance warning.  Sad to say he
had to be euthanized.  He developed an osteomyelitis of the leg from being on
the ground for long periods of time.  These birds hardly ever land in the wild
except for breeding.  The treatments were causing him a lot of stress.  It was
a hard decision to make, it always is, but it was done from compassion."

Indeed, an unfortunate ending for a bird that had struggled to survive, and who
had made such an impact on the Ontario birding community. The Sandy Pines
Wildlife Centre was one of several recipients this year to receive a
certificate of appreciation from the OFO in recognition of their efforts to
rehabilitate the bird, since its discovery in a starved condition on Wolfe
Island earlier this year. The OFO award was presented to Sue Meech and her
volunteer staff on November 8th and was covered by a news story and photo in
the Napanee Beaver.

Terry Sprague

          NatureStuff - Tours & Things
    seminars, presentations, consulting
           interpretive hikes, bus tours
              kayaking & canoe tours
                www.naturestuff.net
                     Terry Sprague
                  23 Sprague Road
   R.R. 1, Demorestville, ON   K0K 1W0
613-476-5072 (home), 613-848-4549 (cell)