Ispent a day on Amherst Island just west of Kingston, searching for owls and in
the Owl Woods in particular.  No owls were seen  there despite a diligent
search
where I have seen them before. ( Saw-whet, Boreal, and Long-eared)  There were
no owl scats on the snow anywhere, despite a recent melt that should
have exposed some.  Other visitors  could not find any  owls either.  There
were
lots of human tracks in the snow.  There were  birders from Florida, New York,
Toronto, all toting huge cameras and lenses, but there were no owls to be
seen.   I suspect that there was too much traffic a few weeks ago and they
left.   I don't like posting negative info, but with lots of birders arriving
from around the country to see the place, I felt that they should be advised
that now is not a good time.  The road is closed and it is a mile walk each way
through deep hard packed snow.  The 20 minute ferry ride costs $8 return.

There is a  hawk owl at the eastern end of the island.   There are reports from
reliable people of 3 snowy owls there, but I could not find them either. One
may
have visited Lemoine's point in Kingston last Saturday.  There have been lots
of
Barred owls at Lemoine's Point lately.  There was a pair of Trumpter swans in
the last of the open water on the south side of Amherst Island, and quite a few
Rough-legged hawks around.

Steve Manders