This morning Mark Peck and I went looking for Red Crossbills. Did not take long to find one. There was one adjacent to the parking lot when we first arrived. We had a total of 35 Red Crossbills. While they were loosely scattered throughout the forest, most were either foraging on the cones of Norway Spruce at forest center driveway or in the Red Pine plantation on the west side of Cold Springs Camp Road (between Thertell road and the forest center).

Other species this morning included Ruffed Grouse, Red-shouldered Hawk, Pileated Woodpecker, Common Raven and Pine Siskins.

As noted by Peeter Musta there are extensive areas of icy trails in the woods.

There is a $6.00 daily entrance fee for the forest.
Directions
Ganaraska Road (cty rd 9) runs between Hwy 115/35 and Hwy 28. Cold Springs Camp road runs north off this road between Kendal and Elizabethville

Maps and directions available online: http://www.grca.on.ca/resources.html

Tyler Hoar
Oshawa