Things were slow in Thickson's Woods this morning but with luck and patience there were a few good birds to be found.

Betsy Smith and I had excellent views of a Blue-winged Warbler just above head height before it went high and disappeared. Other birds of interest (to me) were Wood Thrushes, Brown Thrashers and loudly singing House Wrens. There was an influx of White-throated Sparrows in the general area of Dennis Barry's house (the Southeast corner of the woodlot) around 1 pm. They brought with them another thrasher and a female Eastern Towhee. As I was leaving at 1:30 pm there were three Veeries near the entrance.

Warblers I saw: Yellow-rumped, Palm, Nashville, Pine, and the Blue- Winged. A better day for ground feeding birds.

Joyce Collier-Brown, Willowdale

Directions, stolen from Dennis Barry:

To get to Thickson's Woods, Exit from #401 to Thickson Rd. S. Continue south about 1.5 kilometres to the Waterfront Trail, where you will see a large green sign on your left that says "Thickson's Woods Nature Reserve". Park along the east side of Thickson Road and walk east along the Waterfront Trail about 200 metres to where a pathway enters the woods on your right. Trails lead through the woods with two extending to the roadway on the south side of the woods along the shore of Lake Ontario. The roadways in the woods are the property of Thickson’s Woods Land Trust. Birder’s are welcome to walk along the roadways, but please park outside the gate. Exceptions are made for handicapped folks who are unable to walk about.

The entrance to the meadow portion of the reserve is on the north side of the Waterfront Trail opposite the entrance to the woods.