My friend Lynne & I birded the West side of Minnising Swamp west of
Barrie later this afternoon. Birds were scarce until we hit the corner of 7th
Concession Sunnidale & the 15/16 Sideroad. There is an island of trees in the
huge farmer's field to the Northeast. There is a long patch of this field
running East/west that is corn that has been harvested but not plowed under.
There were about 300-500 Sandhill cranes there. When we circled this field via
Strongville, 9th & back south on the 15/16th there were many more cranes in
similar fields. We estimated up to 1000 birds. As the sun was low from the
15/16 there were streams & streams of geese coming into these same fields to
feed. A tremendous sight & experience. We also had an early delightful flock of
Snow buntings.

Good birding,
Susan Menzies