This afternoon, I received a call from Tyler Hoar who had just found an
apparent Pacific Loon at East Lake, near Sandbanks Provincial Park in Prince
Edward County. I was in the area so I met up with Tyler and he showed me the
spot.
Half an hour later I was finally able to relocate the bird. I was able to take
some phone-scoped photos as it sat on the lake and preened. They can be viewed
on my blog, http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.ca/2012/11/pacific-loon.html
In the photos the bird appears to have white flanks, much like an Arctic Loon
(no Ontario records). However, this was because it was preening, exposing the
flanks. When it was at rest it looked like a typical Pacific Loon.
Directions: From Picton, travel southwest on County Road 10. After 5.3 km, turn
right onto County Road 11. After 8.3 km, turn left onto County Road 18. As you
travel southeast on this road, East Lake will be on the left. There are several
spots where you can view the lake along here.
Cheers,Josh Vandermeulen

Josh Vandermeulen
Guelph, Ontario

joshvandermeu...@live.ca