OntBirders,
Yesterday(Nov.18) at approx. 11:40 I observed a dark morph western(calurus)
subspecies of Red-tailed Hawk. It was sitting on a hydro wire near the
intersection of Highway 6/County Rd.29 about 5 minutes North east of
Hagersville and after turning around I was able to get a couple of bad cell
phone photos. The bird then flew way back into the field where I couldn't
follow it.
Today my Dad and I were able to relocate the bird sitting on 1 of 2 silos
on Haldimand Road 29 just off of the South East side of Highway 6. The
silos are visible from Highway 6. It allowed for much better views with
binoculars as it flew and called. ID specifics will be covered on Ebird.
This bird seems to be hanging around this intersection, not flying farther
than about 100m before perching. We last saw it perched in a bare tree to
the north west side of Highway 6.
Good Birding
Tim

*Directions from Hagersville:*Take Main St. N(Hwy 6) until you get to
County Rd. 29. There are not really any signs that say County Rd. 29 but it
is the road directly after the golf course(Coming from Hagersville).It is
also called 4th line. There is an auto shop here and a small creek to the
right. This is the intersection it was hanging around at and could be
anywhere in the area. It is about a 3-5 minute drive from Hagersville.
*Directions from Hamilton: *Take Upper James St. south to Caledonia. Keep
on this Road and cross the river. This road is now called Argyle St. South.
Continue until this road stops and hits Highway 6. At this point turn left
and the road you will then be on is Highway 6/plank road. Follow this road
until the intersection of Hwy 6 and County Road 29. Coming from this way
the golf course will be on the right after you pass the intersection.
Note:Hwy 6 is also called Plank Rd.