Hi, everyone,

I walked around The Arboretum Centre today to try to spot the Brown Thrasher reported by Alec Follett but with no luck. Our grounds crew was busy removing the snow around the building, so the thrasher might have gone somewhere else for a bit. I'll let you know if I see it - this is the building I work in, so hopefully it will just sit at my window at some point. :)

I did, however, find "our" Barred Owl near The Arboretum Centre during my search. It was south east of the building (for those of you who know our best Bohemian Waxwing spot, the owl was just south of the triangular building with the junipers that the waxwings hang out in). I saw the owl swallow a meadow vole so it may stay around hunting. I did take Arboretum staff members out to see it but it had disappeared. It might just be perched out of sight.

Photos can be seen at our flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52649814@N05/

We have a bunch of naturalist workshops (owls, tracking, intro to birds, warblers, etc.) coming up. For details, go to http://www.uoguelph.ca/arboretum/educationandevents/workshops.shtml

Happy New Year!

Cheers, Chris Earley

To get to The Arboretum Centre, follow highway 6 north from the 401. Turn right (east) onto College Ave. Follow College almost to its end at Victoria Rd. Just before Victoria Road, turn right at our entrance and follow the road to the two large parking lots. The Arboretum Centre is to the right of the parking lots.