A gray phase Northern harrier was observed cruising over the recently plowed corn fields of East Gwillimbury at 12:30 p.m. on April 6. This is the first arrival of a harrier in South Lake Simcoe that I am aware of this spring. The bird was taking advantage of a very brisk north-west wind that had blown up over Lake Simcoe. The location was the south-east corner of Warden Ave. and Doane Road . I observed the bird for 10 minutes staying in the same fields in the area.

Other arrivals April 8: Town of Georgina - 2 Kestrel Old Homestead Road and Stoney Batter Road area. In same area first Eastern meadowlark, Red-winged blackbird (15) in wetland slough at hedgerow between two large plowed winter corn fields, Great Black-backed gull on Lake Simcoe at Virgina Beach docks (open water), April 9 - first Belted Kingfisher at Old Homestead Rd. 3 km. east of Park Rd. north side at pond near recent fill area.

Paul Harpley
The Zephyr Society of Lake Simcoe (www.zephyrsociety.ca)