Hello Ontbirds people,

Today (09 April) from approx. 10:00 - 11:30 AM Bob Bracken and I observed 2
very large flocks of Snow Geese in the flooded agricultural fields east of
Bourget, ON. There were also many in flight, constantly moving around, leaving
and joining those on ground. Most were well away from "driveable" roads so
estimating numbers was a challenge...but approx. 50,000-60,000 would not be an
exaggeration. Quite the spectacle!

Also of interest, we observed 18 Sandhill Cranes in the fields on the west side
of Milton Rd. between Perrault and Smith rds. southwest of Navan, ON. This is a
high number for the SPRING season in the Ottawa area. Large numbers of cranes
"stage" in this area during FALL migration (a local record high of 183 was
counted here on 24 November 2012). To my knowledge, it is not known how many
SACR actually breed in the nearby Mer Bleue fen bog complex and the Alfred bog
farther east.

Also observed, mainly east of Bourget, were many 1000's Canada Geese, several
1000's N. Pintail, and small numbers of other ducks incl. Wood Duck, Am.
Wigeon, Am. Black Duck, Mallard, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser
Scaup and Common Goldeneye.

DIRECTIONS (from downtown Ottawa):

Hwy 417 east to exit 96 (Boundary Rd.). Boundary Rd. north to Carlsbad Springs,
then east on Regional Rd. 26 (Russell Rd.). For the Sandhill Cranes, go north
on R.R. 85 (Milton Rd.). For the Snow Geese etc., proceed east on Russell Rd.
past Bourget . Most of the "east of Bourget" waterfowl were in the flooded
areas around Cobb's Lake Creek and the Nation River.

Good spring birding!
Chris Lewis
Ottawa, ON