Ontbirds subscribers,

Late this afternoon, wind conditions became very favourable off Thickson's
Woods for productive lake watching for birds. There has been consistent 20-25
km/hr south or southwest winds, with gusts to 45 km/hr, since about 3:30 p.m.
For the last two hours, I have been watching gulls and ducks (mainly
mergansers, scoters and Long-tailed Ducks) flying past to both the east and
west over the lake off of Thickson's Woods.

Under sunny skies at 5:16 p.m., a first-winter male Common Eider flew past from
east to west about 50 metres off shore. It landed in the lake just off the end
of Thickson Point and I went out there to view it from closer range with my
scope. I have just come back in from there because the very black skies
approaching from the west appeared to be about to open up with heavy rain. The
Common Eider was still about 100 metres out in the lake, a little to the west
of the point, when I left it at about 6:05 p.m. I am pretty certain this bird
had just arrived, since in the prior hour I had covered the visible area of the
lake to the east fairly thoroughly. Also seen about 25 minutes before the eider
was an early female Harlequin Duck which flew out of sight to the west.

I will update in the morning if this eider is still present.

To view Lake Ontario off Thickson's Woods, take Highway 401 to exit 412
(Thickson Road) and proceed south down Thickson Rd. S. 2 km to its southern
terminus at the cul-de-sac for the Waterfront Trail. Park here and walk further
south down Thickson Road off the cul-de-sac until you reach the private road
that runs east, Crystal Beach Boulevard. Do not drive onto this road as it is a
private road, but it is fine to walk here. Observers are welcome to use the two
benches in front of my house (#330) to scan the lake. One can follow the
Waterfront Trail west from the cul-de-sac to reach the end of Thickson Point to
see around to the west.

Glenn Coady
Whitby