Yesterday, January 9 2015, approximately 30 birders participated in a great day
of birding in Windsor, Essex County, led by Jeremy Hatt, Kory Renaud, and I
(Jeremy Bensette). The eager group found and identified a grand total of 44
bird species, an impressive count for such an abnormally warm winter day. We
began at Lakeview Park Marina and Sand Point Beach where the Detroit River
meets Lake St Clair, visited Little River Corridor Park nearby for a bit of
trail walking before lunch, then a stop at the Ambassador Bridge and Ojibway
Park in the afternoon.

The birds were few and far between at the first few sites, but the
exceptionally mild and rainless weather combined with great company made for a
lovely morning! Highlights from the morning include two rather late Bonaparte's
Gulls still hanging around on the river, three Great Blue Herons, and a nice
close flyover by a local Bald Eagle pair (Lakeview Marina is one of the best
places in Ontario to see overwintering Great Blue Herons and Bald Eagles, with
around 50 of each seen here at once a few years ago). A great highlight that
caused a few of us to finish lunch early was the news of a Snowy Owl sitting on
a roof in a nearby residential neighbourhood!

At the Ambassador Bridge we were treated to quite the air show by the local
breeding Peregrine Falcons, who were fooled into thinking it's spring time with
the nice weather and were courting each other! As if this wasn't entertaining
enough we soon noticed our first Canvasback ducks of the day flying overhead,
followed by a constant stream moving downriver from Lake St Clair, totalling
over 4000 individuals!! This sighting was long overdue this winter because the
lower Detroit River is designated as an Important Bird Area by Bird Studies
Canada for its high concentration of overwintering Canvasbacks. Ojibway Park's
feeders were great as always, with that area's concentrations of Tufted
Titmice, Hairy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and a single Fox Sparrow that a
couple members of the group managed to see.

Overall it was a great day of birding and a lot of fun. It was great to meet
some new faces and catch up with some old friends. If anyone would like a copy
of the day's bird lists by location (thanks Jeremy H for being so diligent with
the lists!) or have any questions or comments about the day, feel free to reply
to this email. I can send links to the ebird lists (for non-users of ebird) or
share them with your ebird account.

Thanks to everyone who came out and helped to make it a super day, and thanks
to Kory and 'the other' Jeremy for co-leading! I hope you all enjoyed it as
much as I did. See you back in Essex County soon enough for spring migration,
and good luck birding this winter!

Jeremy Bensette
Leamington