--- Begin Message ---
Twenty-four participants joined Dan and I today on what started out as a
miserable day for winter birding with rain and heavy fog. Fortunately the
weather cleared somewhat and we were able to tally 33 species of bird by the
end of the day. The birds were scarce in the Holland Marsh area with the
highlights being a Pileated Woodpecker and a pair of Common Raven. We scanned
the fields for Snowy Owl but couldn't turn up anything but some white buckets
and plastic bags. Two fortunate participants at the end of the conga line of
cars saw a lone Snow Bunting on the side of the road. Since the visibility was
poor and the birds were obviously staying sheltered from the rain I suggested
that as a plan "B" we head a little further north to check out the Barrie
shoreline for gulls.  Needless to say we weren't disappointed as we saw eight
species of gull, many at very close range including an adult Thayer's Gull, 1st
year Little Gull, adult Glaucous Gull, and 1st and 2nd cycle Iceland Gull as
well as the usual suspects. We ran into Dave Szmyr and he alerted us to the
presence of an American Coot and male Wood Duck in the open water at the
marina. The Wood Duck was particularly cooperative giving all great views and
some excellent photo opportunities.
A very enjoyable day despite the weather.
Good Birding!  Garth Riley Etobicoke, Ontario rile...@yahoo.com

--- End Message ---