Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 28, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           1119           1119
Osprey                       0             18             18
Bald Eagle                   0             52             52
Northern Harrier             2            219            219
Sharp-shinned Hawk           6           2475           2475
Cooper's Hawk                0             43             43
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              1              1
Broad-winged Hawk            1          17396          17396
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              0            131            131
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             0            478            478
Merlin                       1             17             17
Peregrine Falcon             0              4              4
Unknown Accipiter            0              3              3
Unknown Buteo                0              8              8
Unknown Falcon               0              2              2
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0             11             11

Total:                      10          21977          21977

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 3.25 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had four visitors today willing to join us in the rainy weather.

Weather:
The muted colors behind the clouds when we arrived were a nice break for
eyes used to the glaring sun in the morning, as the only evidence of our
star was what looked like an upside down crown made of sunbeams. The clouds
that protected our eyes, though, soon started crying. We left at 8:15 and
returned at 11:30 (at which point it had stopped raining) to count for an
hour and a half. Then, it started raining again and we left for the day.

Raptor Observations:
Due to the weather, not many raptors were moving today. We did, however,
observe a Cooper's Hawk carrying a small bird and what appeared to be,
during our brief view, a Peregrine Falcon with its recently caught prey. We
counted several migrating Sharpies, a Merlin, and a couple Northern
Harriers, as well as a solitary Broad-winged Hawk, looking for friends.

Non-raptor Observations:
The Blue Jays are still flying over by the thousands, sometimes while
uttering their soft-toned 'yurp' calls. We counted nearly 600 Red-winged
Blackbirds flying overhead, and possibly a small group of Rusty Blackbirds.
Mute Swans were flying overhead, and Pied-bill Grebes were congregated in a
large group (10 plus). Hundreds of Tree Swallows were acrobatically
swerving through the air above the parking lot as we left for the last
time.

Predictions:
Tomorrow is also predicted to be rainy, so could end up much like today.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norw...@fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org