Hi all,

With the news of the "fallout" of Red-throated Loons near Ottawa, I spent
the past few mornings combing the Haliburton area for this species..with no
luck.  I did, however, discover a few other goodies for this region.  This
morning, there was a female Black Scoter feeding actively on Lake
Kashagawigamog, in front of the Bonnieview Inn.  I managed some very poor
quality digiscoped shots over a great distance.  I returned this afternoon
in better light, and managed to get a little closer also.  Pics can be seen
here:

Other notable birds in the area:

Glaucous Gull - 1 at Minden Landfill, 1 at Haliburton Landfill..both 1st
cycle birds.

Iceland Gull - up to 4 at Minden Landfill, at least 5 at Haliburton Landfill
yesterday.

Thayer's Gull? - 1 first winter bird..possibly a very dark kumlieni.  Would
happily accept thoughts on ID.  Haliburton dump yesterday.

Thayer pics here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32725831

White-winged Scoter - 2 females on Maple Lake yesterday.

Dark Red-tailed Hawk - along Hwy 35 near Miner's Bay, across from Kilcoo
Camp entrance.  Couldn't get a good view to determine exact subspecies
before it flushed.

Trumpeter Swan - 2 adults on Sandy Bay, Gull Lake, at the inflow of Gull
River.

Best spot to view Black Scoter is at the old Wigamog Inn.  From CR21, turn S
on Wigamog Rd.  Drive along lake to the old Wigamog Inn.  You can view from
the beach area.  Scoter was a few hundred meters out from shore.

Cheers,

Ed