The unrelenting cold weather that has descended upon even the most southerly
reaches of the province has limited the number of lingering bird species being
discovered, and as a result the Ontario winter bird list is lower than it has
been by this date in previous winters.

Since my last update on December 14, eight new species have been added to the
list, bringing it up to 192. In comparison, last year by this date the winter
bird list was 207 species, finishing at 216 species. The new additions since my
last update are: Vesper Sparrow (Ottawa, London, Sandbanks), Brewer's Blackbird
(Long Point), Tufted Duck (Mississauga to Toronto), Eastern Meadowlark
(multiple locations), Indigo Bunting (Seeley's Bay), Lincoln's Sparrow
(Toronto), Ovenbird (Toronto) and Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Brantford).

There are very few remaining expected species. Some of the more likely species
to be added to the list over the next two months include Boreal Owl, Fish Crow
and Pine Warbler. Other species missing from this winter's list that are more
unusual but still observed most winters include Eared Grebe, Black-headed Gull,
California Gull, Slaty-backed Gull, Harris’s Sparrow, Spotted Towhee and
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch.

The list can be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/myyulvs . I have also provided a
link on my blog, located at
http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.ca/p/ontario-winter-bird-list.html . I try to
update the spreadsheet every couple of days or whenever I hear of a new
addition. Please let me know if you hear of a new addition or any other
correction to the spreadsheet.

Good (winter) birding,
Josh Vandermeulen