Birders: It is with sadness in my heart that I write what I feel is a sort
of Obit for my dear little orange-crowned warbler friend.
This tough, little, intelligent bird endured cold and wind for a total of
38 days here.She learned to eat mealworms and suet to supplement her
favorite diet of Canada golden-rod seeds and frozen autumn olive berries.
With continued nights into the -20's and brutal windchills as low as -39C,I
was unable to locate her yesterday Feb.1st. With temperatures here colder
than Ottawa, North Bay and Port Burwell, Nunavet, there is little surprise
in this.
There are still several good winter birds here which have managed to
survive. They include 2 Eastern Towhee, a hermit thrush, a savannah,
lincolins, white-throated, and several field sparrows, as well as other
more normal winter birds.
If anyone would like to visit Sunday Feb.3rd to try your luck you are
welcome. Although they may move on with the expected warmth.
There are three feeding areas her.One south of the Monarch Landing
sign,(Thrush), Near the main black building and driveway, and down the road
to the east by the stream.

DIRECTIONS: Monarch Landing is one mile east of Port Burwell on the lake
Road. Take the Ingersol-Tillsonburg exit south from 401, to its southern
terminus in Port Burwell. Turn left at the stop sign on Wellington
Rd(Lakeshore Line),
at "Ken's Korner Store".Proceed east 1 mile to Monarch Landing

.
Good luck, good birding,  Aaron Allensen