Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 07, 2019

Turkey Vulture             769          16875          17733
Osprey                       0              4             29
Bald Eagle                   0             21            113
Northern Harrier             3             79            321
Sharp-shinned Hawk         161           1386           3777
Cooper's Hawk                3             50            112
Northern Goshawk             0              1              1
Red-shouldered Hawk          0             22             22
Broad-winged Hawk            0            855          25765
Red-tailed Hawk              3            103            247
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              1              1
American Kestrel             4            364           1585
Merlin                       1             11             92
Peregrine Falcon             3             12             33
Unknown Accipiter            0              3              5
Unknown Buteo                0              4              5
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              4
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                     947          19791          49846

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagné

Observers:        Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to our few visitors; Ken and Linda from Peterborough, Gabrielle,
Kathy, Jane, Mitch and Gene from  Detroit, and Tara.
Also thank you to Mike for his visit and his caffeinated gifts for the
observers!

Weather:
Good weather on the tower today. We started with a cooler morning with
winds from the West, only to change towards the South in early afternoon as
the temperatures rose and ending with a bit of heat.

Raptor Observations:
We experienced a pretty slow day with not many species all mostly
Sharp-shinned Hawks (161) and Turkey Vultures (769). The Turkey Vultures
were travelling very far North of the tower, forcing us to use scopes to
count them. Other notable species were a Merlin and three Peregrine falcons
flying just above our heads.

Non-raptor Observations:
What we lacked in raptors was made up with Blue Jays! We ended our count
with 11,080 Blue Jays, most migrating in the morning. It was also a busy
day for American Goldfinches, Starlings, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Crows.
In the afternoon, when the raptors were nowhere to be seen, we counted many
gulls mostly Ring-billed Gulls but also a lot of Bonaparte's Gulls.
Lastly, we had a high count of Chimney Swifts, with 33 swifts for the day.

Blue Jays: 11,080
American Goldfinch: 398
Starlings: 950
Red-winged Blackbirds: 273
American Crow: 30
Ring-billed Gull: 71
Bonaparte's Gull: 61
Monarch Butterfly: 32

https://ebird.org/eBirdReports?cmd=subReport

Predictions:
Tonight, we are expecting Northern winds, which should push some birds
towards us, hopefully some more warblers. We expecting a cooler morning
with again Northern winds only to shift to the South in the afternoon as
temperatures are expected to climb. Hopefully, we should be seeing many
more Turkey Vultures, and buteos like Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered
Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (maryse.gagn...@gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: