Hi Dave,

Thank you for the feedback regarding my paper.

> The paper is nicely done, but I'm concerned that there's a real problem with
> equation 4. The orphan rate is not just a function of time; it's also a
> function of the block maker's proportion of the network hash rate.
> Fundamentally a block maker (pool or aggregation of pools) does not orphan
> its own blocks.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the paper would be stronger if it also
analyzed how the model changes (or doesn't) if we assume zero propagation
impedance for intra-miner communication, as you suggested (the "you don't
orphan your own blocks" idea).  Note that the paper did briefly discuss
miner-dependent propagation times in the second paragraph of page 9 and in note
13.

> In a degenerate case a 100% pool has no orphaned blocks.

Agreed.  In this case there's no information to communicate (since the miner
has no peers) and so the Shannon-Hartley limit doesn't apply.  My model makes
no attempt to explain this case.

> Consider that a 1% miner must assume a greater risk from orphaning than, say,
> a pool with 25%, or worse 40% of the hash rate.

I'd like to explore this in more detail.  Although a miner may not orphan his
own block, by building on his own block he may now orphan two blocks in a row.
At some point, his solution or solutions must be communicated to his peers.
And if there's information about the transactions in his blocks to communicate,
I think there's a cost associated with that.  It's an interesting problem and
I'd like to continue working on it.

> I suspect this may well change some of the conclusions as larger block makers
> will definitely be able to create larger blocks than their smaller
> counterparts.

It will be interesting to see.  I suspect that the main result that "a healthy
fee market exists" will still hold (assuming of course that a single miner with
>50% of the hash power isn't acting maliciously).  Whether miners with larger
value of h/H have a profit advantage, I'm not sure (but that was outside the
scope of the paper anyways).

Best regards,
Peter