Thank you for the feedback, Benjamin.

> When you talk about a market, what are you referring to exactly?

I define what I mean by healthy, unhealthy, and non-existent markets in Section
7, and I show a figure to illustrate the supply and demand curves in each of
these three cases.  A healthy market is defined as one where a rational miner
would be incentivized to produce a finite block.  An unhealthy market is one
where a miner would be incentivized to produce an arbitrarily large block.  A
non-existant market is one where a miner is better off publishing an empty
block.  I show that so long as block space in a normal economic commodity that
obeys the Law of Demand, and that the Shannon-Hartley theorem applies to the
communication of the block solutions between miners, that an unhealthy market
is not possible.

>  A market means that demand and supply are matched continuously, and Bitcoin
> has no such mechanism.

Take a look at my definitions for the mempool demand curve (Sec 4) and the
block space supply curve (Sec 5).  I show that the miner's profit is a maximum
at the point where the derivatives of these two curves intersect.  I think of
this as when "demand and supply are matched."

> ...I don't think a fee market exists and that demand or supply are not easily
> definable.

Do you not find the definitions presented in the paper for these curves useful?
 The mempool demand curve represents the empirical demand measureable from a
miner’s mempool, while the block space supply curve represents the additional
cost to create a block of size Q by accounting for orphaning risk.

> Ideally supply of transaction capability would completely depend on demand,
> and a price would exist such that demand can react to longterm or shorterm
> supply constraints.

Supply and demand do react.  For example, if the cost to produce block space
decreases (e.g., due to improvements in network interconnectivity) then a miner
will be able to profitably include a greater number of transactions in his
block.

Furthermore, not only is there a minimum fee density below which no rational
miner should include any transactions as Gavin observed, but the required fee
density for inclusion also naturally increases if demand for space within a
block is elevated.  A rational miner will not necessarily include all
fee-paying transactions, as urgent higher-paying transactions bump lower-fee
transactions out, thereby bidding up the minimum fee density exponentially with
demand.

> In such a scenario there would be no scalability concerns, as scale would be
> almost perfectly elastic.

Agreed.

Best regards,
Peter